Saturday, April 4, 2009

Easily influenced

I know, I know... It's been a really long time. See, I used to email my in-laws really often to keep them up to date about our lives and stay close to them considering we live so far away. But the injustice was, my poor parents - who live only one hour away and who I rarely email and almost never call - hear about us much less than my in-laws! So I started another blog intended for family only. That way they can all be equal.

The problem has been, of course, to update both blogs frequently, essentially doubling over night the amount of writing I need to do (and the amount of time spent writing). Obviously, since I haven't updated this blog in 2 weeks, I'm doing a terrible job at balancing the two. I will try harder!

The subject for today? TV.

No, I won't say anything about violence and sex on TV. I won't say anything about it's debilitating effect on the brain. I'm talking about how it so easily influences me in the weirdest way.

We don't have cable so we usually rent a whole season of a TV show on DVD from Netflix. That means that instead of having a balanced variety in our TV diet like most cable-watchers, we obsess over one show then move one to the next. When I first met Captain Awesome, he had never watched "House". I was like "are you crazy, it's the BEST show EVER. I have the first season on DVD, wanna watch it?". There started our first few dates, eating donuts at 3AM watching 7 episodes in a row.

I haven't gotten to the weird part yet. The weird influence is that while I watched a lot of House, I wanted to become a doctor. You get where this is going.

"House"/"Scrubs" = Doctor
"True Calling" = Pathologist
"Numbers" = Mathematician
"Grey's Anatomy" = Surgeon
"Pushing Daisies" = Baker/Bakery shop owner
"Worst Week" = Vet
"Bones" = Anthropologist

It's seriously a problem, because I've thought so many times "aww, I'm just going to quit my job and go back to school to become a {job matching the show of the hour}". And I'm not kidding, I very seriously considerd a few of those options. When in reality, I really do love what I do. I think part of problem is, I love doing a lot of different things and it's hard for me to be tied down to just ONE field.

Or ok, maybe I'm just easily influenced.

Anyway, the principle also applies to things outside of work...

"How I Met Your Mother" = Drink more
"Cowbow Bepop"/"Azumanga Daioh" = Learn Japanese
"Life" = Become more zen
"Lie to Me" = Eat more kid-appropriate food
"What not to wear" = Put more effort on my appearance
"Cashmere Mafia"/"Lipstick Jungle" = Have more girl friends
"Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" = volunteer
"Dr. 90210" = Get a boob job
"Extras" = Talk with a british accent (I'm the worst person in the world at doing accents)
"Girlmore Girls" = Make more cultural references that no one gets
"Private Practive" = I should dye my hair red again...

How about you, has a show ever made you wish you were something else/did something more or less?

No comments:

Post a Comment